POSITION BASIC PURPOSE
Design and develop electrical and system for Surge Protective
Devices (SPD) products Specify as needed all electrical circuit
Develop and manage projects and schedules as required. Prepare
and present project
details and updates to PAC committee. Handle standards
compliance issues for IEC, UL, IEEE etc. Support remote production
facilities as needed. The role will be located in Newburyport,
Massachusetts, Mersens North America headquarters reporting to
Director, R&D, Surge Protection
CONTEXT OF THE POSITION AND MAJOR CHALLENGES
- The Electrical Engineer works with the Mechanical Engineer and
Product Managers to alter current designs, where the alteration
requires minor electrical changes to the product with no new
tooling required and /or a minimal of electrical testing, to
provide customers with custom requests not in the current
- The major challenge of this position is to act as the final
authority for all electrical designs / design changes, and to
manage non-test product modifications for customer delivery.
- Consider the quality, cost, process, and various internal and
external requirements to meet customer needs when developing new
To design SPD product as directed by PAC.
To develop and manage, schedules for SPD new product projects
from prototyping into production.
To work with Applications Engineering to resolve Field Service
Report (customer issues) root causes as rapidly as possible.
To oversee and manage modifications to current SPD designs
proposed by the Marketing Product Managers .
To represent the company as needed on industry or code panels
such as UL, NEMA, IEEE, or NEC.
To maintain and correct existing drawings for SPD products as
Other assigned duties
POSITION REQUIREMENTS (KNOWLEDGE, COMPETENCIES AND
- Bachelor of Science, EE/EET degree or equivalent.
- Four to six years of experience in the field of Electrical
Engineering and development of electronic devices for Electrical
- Minimum of two years of experience in firmware development or
- Working knowledge of UL Standard for Safety UL1449 and IEC
- Complete working knowledge of MOV, SAD, GDT, electronic