Company: Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center
Posted on: June 6, 2021
Job Summary: Reports to: Practice Manager or Ambulatory Practice
Coordinator with input from assigned physician(s), nurses or other
health care providers. Responsible for delivering the highest
quality service to patients while contributing to the smooth
functioning of practice operations.
- Serves as a communication resource. Asks appropriate questions
and solves problems. Takes complete and accurate information from
patients in person and by phone, prioritizing and communicating the
information to providers appropriately. Responds quickly and
courteously to phone calls and requests. Seeks assistance from
supervisor and others appropriately.
- Greets patients and escorts to exam rooms. Ensures availability
of x-rays, lab slips, medical records and other pertinent info.
Obtains vitals, weight, blood pressure, pulse and temperature,
performs EKGs, injections and/or phlebotomy, and assists providers.
Performs departmental screening, lab tests and specimen collection.
Implements quality control standards.
- Provides patients with relevant instructions for specific tests
and procedures. Performs or assists with routine procedures under
proper supervision as directed by physician, Nurse Practitioner.
Schedules follow-up tests and appointments. Arranges patient
transport as needed. Sorts/distributes lab results daily to
appropriate physician or nurse practitioner. Maintains patient
- Assists with procuring medical records. Ensures patient records
and relevant documents filed in the record have appropriate patient
identification. Adds new medications to patient record in EMR
system. Assemble records according to BIDHC/APG policy and as
standards are defined by the Joint Commission of Accreditation of
Health Care Organizations (JCAHO).
- Ensures that equipment and supplies necessary to carry out
patient care activities are available and usable and the
environment is clean and organized. Maintains an unobstructed area
for patient access. Cleans rooms after patient usage and ensures
appropriate disposal of contaminated materials. Tracks, orders and
maintains supplies and equipment, restocks supplies.
- High School diploma or GED required.
- Certificate 1 Medical Assistant Certificate required.
- 0-1 years related work experience required.
- Graduation from an accredited Medical Assistant program.
- Experience with computer systems required, including web based
applications and some Microsoft Office applications which may
include Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint or Access.
- Written Communications: Ability to communicate clearly and
effectively in written English with internal and external
- Oral Communications: Ability to comprehend and converse in
English to communicate effectively with medical center staff,
patients, families and external customers.
- Knowledge: Ability to demonstrate full working knowledge of
standard concepts, practices, procedures and policies with the
ability to use them in varied situations.
- Team Work: Ability to work collaboratively in small teams to
improve the operations of immediate work group by offering ideas,
identifying issues, and respecting team members.
- Customer Service: Ability to provide a high level of customer
service to patients, visitors, staff and external customers in a
professional, service-oriented, respectful manner using skills in
active listening and problem solving. Ability to remain calm in
Age based Competencies:
Employees in this job must be competent to provide patient care
to the following age groups: Neonatal:Birth to 6 months, Youth: 6
months to 16 years, Young adult: 16-30 years, Middle Age: 30 - 60
years, Elderly: 60 -.
Physical Nature of the Job:
Medium work: Exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally and
or up to 20 pounds of force frequently. Job is physical in nature
and employee needs to stand and/or move around through the majority
of their shift.
Keywords: Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Lowell , Medical Assistant, Other , Newburyport, Massachusetts
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!